Rating Vegas and my game

While I had better than a 90% table win rate in Vegas I'm guessing my game is about at 70% compared to what it was at its peak. I never went above a 123 prog. But I should have!

The Vegas BJ conditions are currently the best BJ conditions I've ever seen anywhere in 30 years of play. I played mostly head to head and such games were very easy to find. The reduced popularity of BJ has improved conditions enormously - less clumping and more head to head opportunities. I could easily tell that the dealers were not used to getting beat.

Recognize that while I was sitting at third, playing head to head you can play either NBJ First Base or NBJ third base from that same seat. In random and high tens sections, I played NBJ Third Base. But in low cards sections I did not increase my bet and won my share of hands by hitting to a good hand regardless of the dealer up card. But then at the first sign of tens, I pounced on it with 2 bets that probably should have been 4 bets. They would have been 4 bets in the old days.

I commented to my playing partner, Zebra, that I could make a good living in Vegas again just playing BJ.

I stuck to $25 and higher tables only and found them nearly 100% beatable due to lack of play at such tables. I avoided 6 deck because it was likely to be more clumped and one and two deck games were easy to find.

My card play was pretty much up to par but my betting was not nearly aggressive enough. Yes, I did real good but the fact remains - I should have done twice as good in those conditions! A little rusty I guess.

• Baccarat Hall of Fame Member
While I had better than a 90% table win rate in Vegas I'm guessing my game is about at 70% compared to what it was at its peak. I never went above a 123 prog. But I should have!

The Vegas BJ conditions are currently the best BJ conditions I've ever seen anywhere in 30 years of play. I played mostly head to head and such games were very easy to find. The reduced popularity of BJ has improved conditions enormously - less clumping and more head to head opportunities. I could easily tell that the dealers were not used to getting beat.

Recognize that while I was sitting at third, playing head to head you can play either NBJ First Base or NBJ third base from that same seat. In random and high tens sections, I played NBJ Third Base. But in low cards sections I did not increase my bet and won my share of hands by hitting to a good hand regardless of the dealer up card. But then at the first sign of tens, I pounced on it with 2 bets that probably should have been 4 bets. They would have been 4 bets in the old days.

I commented to my playing partner, Zebra, that I could make a good living in Vegas again just playing BJ.

I stuck to $25 and higher tables only and found them nearly 100% beatable due to lack of play at such tables. I avoided 6 deck because it was likely to be more clumped and one and two deck games were easy to find.

My card play was pretty much up to par but my betting was not nearly aggressive enough. Yes, I did real good but the fact remains - I should have done twice as good in those conditions! A little rusty I guess.

In the last hour,I finally finished reading the 13 BJ newsletters you authored back in the mid-90's...today, at Carlos' suggestion I will order the BJ manuals.

Even at 70%, Ellis, I am thinking you remain waaaaaaaaaaayyy smarter than a 5th grader ( at least one not armed with a smart phone and an Ipad! Heck, even the Bowmar Brain calculator got obsoleted...)

Seriously am looking forward to the BJ manuals, as I can attest you have made me a much better Bac player and expect the same for Blackjack